My New Kentucky Smart Home is a program of the KATS Network and funded by a grant with support from the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.
The goal of this program is to promote independence and increase technology usage for Kentuckians with paraplegia through loans of smart home devices and equipment. During the grant period, the program is only open to any Kentuckian with a paralyzing condition. The loans include a basic starter kit which includes the recipient’s choice of a Google Home Mini or Amazon Echo Dot smart speaker, a Sesame smart deadbolt that is installed over the existing deadbolt, a Ring 2 video doorbell, TP-Link smart plugs, and Sengled LED Wi-Fi light bulbs. There is also additional equipment available to expand the system.
In order to qualify you must:
- Be a resident of Kentucky,
- Have a paralyzing condition,
- Have a wireless internet connection,
- Have a smartphone, tablet, or other smart devices capable of accessing the internet,
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions of the program
- Agree to Release of Liability
Terms, Conditions, and Release of Liability
By submitting the application, I confirm that:
- I am a resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky (the state) and have a paralyzing condition. I further certify that equipment loaned through this program will be used within my primary residence in the state.
- I am borrowing equipment through this program to evaluate the benefits of Smart Home technology in increasing my independence in the home.
- Equipment is loaned for a period of 90-days.
- Upon completion of the loan period, I will return all items to the KATS Network Coordinating Center in the original packaging using the provided return shipping label. All items are to be returned in working order.
- I understand, acknowledge, and accept that I am entirely responsible for the equipment, including but not limited to training, personalized adjustment(s), support, maintenance, upkeep and repair needed and related to proper use of this equipment.
- I understand the risks involved in the use of equipment loaned through this program and AGREE TO ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISKS INVOLVED while using said without limitation and including the risks of property damage, privacy, and/or the ordinary negligence and/or deliberate act of another person.
- I hereby release and discharge the KATS Network, including any of its affiliates, predecessors, successors, assigns, and current and former officers, directors, employees, and agents, in their individual capacities as well as their official capacities, of and from any and all claims, demands, actions, or causes of action whatsoever the undersigned, his/her heirs, assigns and legal representatives have, may have, whether now or in the future, against the KATS Network
- The Applicant, his/her heirs, assigns and legal representatives voluntarily give up any right to sue or hold the KATS Network, including any of its affiliates, predecessors, successors, assigns, and current and former officers, directors, employees, and agents, in their individual capacities as well as their official capacities, responsible for any damages incurred by use of this equipment. The Applicant, his/her heirs, assigns and legal representatives voluntarily agree to hold the KATS Network, including any of its affiliates, predecessors, successors, assigns, and current and former officers, directors, employees, and agents, in their individual capacities as well as their official capacities completely harmless and not liable and to release them from all liability whatsoever associated with the use of said equipment.
- By submitting this application, I agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. I acknowledge that I have has had an opportunity to consult with an attorney prior to submitting my application. I agree and acknowledge that the complete terms and conditions of their agreement are set forth herein and that no other promises or commitments were made by either party.
- This release shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If any provision of this release is held invalid, such invalidity shall not invalidate the entire Release and the remainder of the terms shall not be affected.
- Each party represents that it has reviewed and fully understands each and every provision of this Release, has obtained all appropriate and necessary authorizations to enter into this document, and voluntarily executes same.